| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Editorial Office |  
top_img
Korean Journal of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery > Volume 39(5); 1996 > Article
Korean Journal of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1996;39(5): 769-75.
A Bacteriologic Study of Chronic Otitis Media after Surgery
Yong Ki Kim, MD, Gyung Il Kim, MD, Wan Su Kim, MD, Han Jo Na, MD, and Nam Yong Do, MD
Department of Otolaryngology, Chosun University, College of Medicine, Kwang Ju, Korea
만성중이염의 술후 감염에 대한 세균학적 고찰
김용기 · 김경일 · 김완수 · 나한조 · 도남용
조선대학교 의과대학 이비인후과학교실
ABSTRACT

A bacteriologic study was made on 55 cases of immediate post-operative infection of chronic otitis media patient who visited the Department of Otolaryngology, Chosun University Hospital from July, 1992 to August, 1995. The present study has focused on the comparison of bacteriologic results between intra-operative and post-operative discharge when a post-operative infection was developed. The following conclusions were reached. 1) The most frequently isolated bacteria from discharge at operation were Staphylococcus aureus(13 strains, 23.2%) and followed by Pseudomonas aeruginosa(12 strains, 21.4%), Proteus mirabilis(6 strains, 8.9%). After operation, bacteria isolated from discharge were S. aureus(41 stains, 62.1%), P. aeruginosa(6 stains, 9.0%) and P. mirabilis(4 stains, 6.1%). 2) After the opertion, S. aureus which was cultured from discharge was 41 stains. Among them, 10 stains(24.4%) were related with isolated bacteria during the operation and the otehrs (31 stains, 75.6%) were not. 3) After the operation, P. aeruginosa which was cultured from discharge was 6 strains. Among them, 5 strains(83.3%) were related to isolated bacteria from operation and the other(1 strain, 16.7%) was not. 4) After the operation, bacteria isolated from discharge were 66 stains. Among them, bacteria which were related to operation were 18 stains(27.3%), including S. aureus(10 stains), P. aeruginosa(5 stains), and P. mirabilis(2 stains). It was suggested that these infections were probably caused by the contamination of postoperative dressing, or overgrowing of normal flora.

Keywords: Postoperative infectionBacteriologyChronic otitis media.
Editorial Office
Korean Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
103-307 67 Seobinggo-ro, Yongsan-gu, Seoul 04385, Korea
TEL: +82-2-3487-6602    FAX: +82-2-3487-6603   E-mail: kjorl@korl.or.kr
About |  Browse Articles |  Current Issue |  For Authors and Reviewers
Copyright © Korean Society of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. All rights reserved.                 developed in m2community
Close layer
prev next